This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to our use of cookies. To find out more, see our Privacy and Cookies policy.

Array ( [0] => https://www.iammain.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Slide1-1-1140x528.jpg [1] => 1140 [2] => 528 [3] => 1 ) Array ( [0] => https://www.iammain.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Slide2-1140x528.jpg [1] => 1140 [2] => 528 [3] => 1 ) Array ( [0] => https://www.iammain.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Slide3-1140x528.jpg [1] => 1140 [2] => 528 [3] => 1 ) Array ( [0] => https://www.iammain.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Slide4-1140x528.jpg [1] => 1140 [2] => 528 [3] => 1 )






Information, Advice and Support Service:


Exclusively for Middlesbrough, MAIN provides the SEND Information, Advice and Support Service. This is free, impartial help for children and young people with SEN and/or Disabilities, and for their parents. SENDIASS at MAIN is here to help you make informed decisions around educational choices for children and young people with SEN, from ages 0-25 years. We will do our best to help with other related issues as well, such as health and social care provision.

Telephone: 01642 608012/07939152653 (Monday-Friday)

Email: MAIN_SENDIASSMiddlesbrough@iammain.org.uk

It is very important that families are fully involved in their child's education. SENDIASS at MAIN supports parents and carers in building and maintaining positive relationships with their child's school and the Local Education Authority, so that they feel empowered and fully informed. Children and young people can also contact us directly, and are entitled to independent access to our free, confidential and impartial service.


For what reasons can I contact the SENDIASS at MAIN? How can this Service help me?


There are no set rules. You can contact the SENDIASS at MAIN for lots of different reasons. Even if we are unable to help you, we can put you in touch with someone who can

  • If you need help understanding and filling in forms and paperwork relating to education
  • If you need the Special Educational Needs (SEN) process explaining
  • If you would like more information about your child's specific learning difficulty
  • If communication has broken down between you and your child's school
  • If you want to appeal against any decision made about your child's education
  • If you are a child or young person who wants information, advice or support about your own special educational needs, including problems at school that are not being resolved with your parents’ help
  • If you want an Independent Supporter to help you navigate the system for Education, Health and Care Plans and assessments


In what ways will SENDIASS at MAIN provide help?


You can contact SENDIASS at MAIN to discuss any concerns you may have regarding your child's special educational needs (or your own SEN if you are a child or young person). We can advise you on how schools and colleges work, who to talk to and what questions to ask. We can signpost to other agencies if necessary. If we don't have an answer straight away, we will get back to you.


Appointments service:


You may prefer to discuss your concerns face to face. If so, we can meet you in your home, at your child's school, in our central Middlesbrough office, or another mutually convenient venue




When appropriate we can attend meetings or appointments with you. We can also contact the school on your behalf, speak to the local education authority and help you write letters. If necessary, we can help you access more formal disagreement resolution and mediation services.


Independent Supporters:


Independent Supporters are available to help children and young people and their families navigate the system for Education, Health and Care (EHC) Assessments and Plans. This can include support in finding what you need in the Local Offer. The Independent Supporter service for Middlesbrough is provided in partnership with Aspire PCS. Parents and/or young people themselves can ask for an Independent Supporter to be allocated at any stage of the EHC Assessment process. This can be in 15 connection with a new request for assessment, or a transfer from an existing "Statement of Special Educational Needs".

SENDIASS at MAIN can help you decide if an Independent Supporter could be useful and can make a referral for you. Alternatively, you can ring Aspire directly on 01913 837430.




EHC needs assessments in Middlesbrough

ECH plans Middlesbrough

Funding for SEN support in Middlesbrough

Glossary for Middlesbrough Send information 

Personal Budgets Middlesbrough

SEN support Middlesbrough

SEND reforms- Impact on children and young people Middlesbrough

The Local Offer in Middlesbrough

What do we mean by impartial IAS in Middlesbrough

What if you do dont agree Middlesbrough

Family Fund



Links to MAIN's SENDIASS policies can be found below

Complaints, Suggestions and Compliments

Confidentiality Policy

Impartiality Policy



Do you want to see more services in your area? Contact us